Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Should NZ Ban Plastic Straws?

Yes I think we should ban plastic straws. Think about it would you want to see a turtle with plastic straw stuck in their nose or a dead bird with plastic straws in their mouth? well I wouldn't. Hey I am Nidhi and today I will be giving my opinion on if we should ban plastic straws.

I have had enough of people going on about why we should not ban plastic straws, yes plastic straws are easier to use but while using them have you ever thought about the animals that suffer due to plastic straws?. Straws break down to micro plastic which is tiny bits of plastic that float around in the ocean causing harm to the sea animals.

I think people should buy one of the metal straws and carry it around in their bag. Plastic straws take more than 200 years to decompose and they can be replaced by paper, bamboo or metal straws. Paper straws decompose easily and metal and bamboo straws can be used numerous times, we don't need to throw them away and they don't harm the environment.

In the last ten years more than 65,000 plastic straws have been collected from NZ beaches during coastal clean ups. 65,000 is a huge number, imagine seeing that many straws on your favourite beach. Some of the straw that weren't picked up might have ended up in turtles nostrils.

I would stop using plastic straws and think about how it harms the animals and the environment. Would you do the same? Would you want the animals and the wildlife being harmed just because of plastic straws.


1 comment:

  1. Greetings Nidhi! I like your opinion and i found it interesting and i learnt that plastic straws harms the environment. I really like it! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete